VISA information

If you’d like to visit the Conference there are different types of visas to apply for depending what country you hold your nationalitity in, but the most common visa type to apply for is the Short-stay Schengen visa. Please check the wesbite to see what visa to apply for depending on your country of origin.


Short-stay Schengen visa (90 days or less)

What is a short-stay visa / Schengen visa?

The short-stay visa is a Schengen visa. It allows you to stay in the Schengen area for a maximum of 90 days within a 180-day period. Your visa will be valid for a specific period. This period may be shorter than 90 days. You can travel freely between the 26 Schengen countries while your visa is valid. If you want to leave and re-enter the Schengen area within the 180-day period, choose the multiple-entry option when making your application.

List of countries who do or do not need a short stay Schengen visa.

Applying for a short-stay Schengen visa

If you want to visit the Netherlands for a short stay (up to 90 days), you might need a visa. How you apply for a visa depends on your country.

Check what type of visa you need and apply for it here.

Travelling on a visa

Even if you have a visa you may still be subject to checks during your trip. If you want to travel to the Netherlands you must meet certain requirements.

Entering and staying in the Schengen area

You must at all times meet the requirements for travelling without a visa. For example, you must have enough money for a return ticket.

If you do not meet these requirements you may be refused entry to a Schengen country or the Schengen area.

Extending a visa

You can only extend a short-stay visa in emergencies, for example if you become ill. Strict conditions apply.

Long-stay visa (MVV)

If you want to stay in the Netherlands for longer than 90 days, you may need a residence permit. In many cases you will also have to apply for a long-stay visa before you travel to the Netherlands. This visa is also called an authorisation for temporary stay (MVV)

EU Customs Allowances

Just like the other EU member states, the Netherlands has various security regulations.

  • Fluid, gel and cream containers containing less than 100 ml may be carried on board, provided these are placed in a transparent zip-lock bag. During the security checks you will have to show this bag. Only one bag per person is allowed.
  • When you travel from another EU member state, there are no restrictions on carrying See Buy Fly (tax-free) articles. Tobacco is not sold tax-free within the EU.

Receive more information about entering the Netherlands from another EU country and prohibited and restricted goods on the website of the Dutch customs.

Non-EU Customs Allowances

When flying from a country which is not a Schengen country, your passport will be checked at the arrival airport in the Netherlands. When you travel from a country that is not an EU member state, Dutch import regulations apply. Passengers aged 17 and older may carry:

  • Your usual travel baggage,
  • 200 cigarettes and one liter of spirits,
  • 50 ml perfume and 0.25 liter eau-de-toilette,
  • 500 grams of coffee or 200 grams of coffee extract,
  • 100 grams of tea or 40 grams of tea extract,
  • Other goods with a maximum total value of € 430,
  • Medicines for personal use.

If you wish to carry in excess of the above, you will have to pay VAT (Value Added Tax), and possibly other applicable taxes and import duties. Find more information about entering the Netherlands from another EU country and prohibited and restricted goods on the website of the Dutch customs

Travelling with Pets

If you wish to take your dog, cat or ferret with you to the Netherlands, you will need to have the following veterinary documents:

  •  Travelling from outside the EU you need a valid health certificate signed by an authorized veterinary surgeon. Those who travel within the European Union need a European animal passport to travel with their pet.
  • It’s important that you have a rabies certificate signed by a local inspector of the veterinary service or another official. The animal should have been vaccinated against rabies at least 28 days prior to departure.
  • New is that owners must ensure that their pets are micro-chipped or tattooed. Pets from non-EU countries travelling to the Netherlands also need to be inoculated and micro-chipped or tattooed.

The Dutch customs website will tell you more about travelling to the Netherlands with pets.


Your browser does not support Javascript. This could result from several reasons:

• Javascript is disabled in this browser.

• Your browser is too old for Javascript.

Either enable Javascript in your browser or upgrade to a newer version to enjoy all the functions of this website.